The City of Wellington has a number of Boards and Commissions that advise the Governing Body. Two of the Boards are Authority Boards, Housing and Health Care. The members of each of these bodies are appointed as provided for by applicable Kansas law or City ordinance. Service is voluntary with no compensation.
All member positions are for a four-year term beginning May 1. Member terms are staggered to avoid the replacement of a full board in a single year. Effective with appointments made in 2013 and after, term limits of two consectuve four-year terms will be imposed.
Resolution No. 5488 establishes an application deadline and outlines the process that will be followed:
Appointment Process – Regular Term of Office
1. That all applications for any opening for a regular term on the boards and/or commissions of the City of Wellington, Kansas, shall be submitted prior to January 1st of any year in which the governing body is called upon to make appointments to said boards and/or commissions.
2. If there are an insufficient number of applicants for any vacancies on any of the boards and/or commissions of the City of Wellington, Kansas, then members of the governing body may solicit applicants who shall submit their applications on or before the last day of February.
3. That prior to March 15th, the governing body shall meet and review all applications submitted for all city boards and/or commissions with no binding action.
4. At the last regular meeting of the governing body in April or a meeting prior, the governing body shall make and approve its own appointments and the mayor’s appointments to the boards and/or commissions of the City of Wellington, Kansas.
Appointment Process – Vacancy in a Regular Unexpired Term of Office
In the event a vacancy occurs for a Board and/or Commission position during the regular term for the position the vacancy will be filled in the following manner for the unexpired term:
1. Upon notice that a vacancy exists or will occur, public notice will be made of a fifteen (15) day application period for the position. Applications received and any applications on file from and after the last regular annual cycle of appointments will be considered for appointment to the position.
2. The governing body shall meet and review all applicable applications for the vacant position with no binding action.
3. At the first regular meeting of the governing body after review of the applications, the governing body shall make and approve an appointment to the vacant position for the remainder of the unexpired term.
If a vacancy occurs for a Board and/or Commission position during the regular annual appointment process, appointment to the vacant position for the remainder of the unexpired term will be considered, if practical, during the regular annual appointment process. If not practical, the process outlined above for filling a vacancy for an unexpired term will be followed.