Water Distribution is one of five departments within the Public Utilities. Under the general management and direction of the Assistant City Manager for Utilities and Information Technology, the Water Distribution Supervisor and staff of four work together to distribute potable drinking water to approximately 3,900 customers. In addition to the City, water is distributed to three Rural Water Districts, the City of Mayfield, the Kansas Turnpike Belle Plaine Service Area and the Southern Terminal, and 140 rural customers.
Water Distribution staff are responsible for the following:
- Maintenance of all the water lines and water towers in the City’s distribution system.
- Approximately 31 miles of water lines
- Approximately 3,900 water meters
- Approximately 350 fire hydrants
- 1.0 million gallon elevated water tower constructed in 1946
- 0.5 million gallon elevated water tower constructed in 2004
- Maintenance of the raw water collection system from the Wellington Lake, Chiskaskia River, and ground wells to the Water Treatment Plant.
- Sampling and reporting to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment as required.
- Daily for chlorine residual
- Nine monthly tests for coliform bacteria
- Assist the Fire Department in the annual fire hydrant testing.
- Answer inquiries from citizens, local, state, and federal officials regarding the water distribution system maintenance process.